Job Opportunity: Operations Manager, Sewing and Upholstery
Are you experienced in the production of window coverings, bedding, and upholstery products? Do you enjoy leading production teams to create high-quality products and deliver on our “we can make anything” reputation? Do you enjoy working collaboratively with clients and our internal team to provide the best-in-class service for window coverings and upholstery? If you answered yes and are seasoned in operational efficiency, this opportunity is right for you.
Windowworks is looking for a highly motivated, extremely organized Operations Manager who will lead our workroom of over 20 employees. This is a newly created role. Your primary role is to provide accountability, operational efficiency, and quality control throughout the entire process from when an order is taken to when our products are delivered all the way through payment collections.
Your success will be defined by your ability to:
- Create structure in an unstructured environment
- Understand and implement operations and workflow processes
- Understand and implement quality control / quality assurance processes
- Set and achieve operational efficiency metrics
- Resolve conflict and maintain strong customer service
- Problem solve any challenge that comes about and collaboratively achieve a solution to align with our “we can make anything” reputation
- Learn the workroom and the manufacturing of window coverings, bedding, and upholstery
- Be well-versed on industry knowledge of design of draperies and upholstery
- Be creative and forward-thinking in a team environment
- Hold your team accountable to meet production schedules, invoicing schedules and collections
- Learn and implement our sales and workroom management tool throughout the organization
- Inspire your team to think proactively
- Lead through humility
- Fully understand and utilize processes, operational tools, and systems, necessary to our success
- Work and lead with the following values:
- Exceptional customer service
- High quality products
- Being quick on our feet.
THE POSITION: Operations Manager, Sewing and Upholstery
Reporting to the CEO, this role requires a strong yet humble leader to lead a diverse and inclusive team environment. The position covers a diverse range of responsibilities, including learning our workroom processes, directing the manufacturing of window coverings, bedding, and upholstery, and ensuring the team invoices and collects payments on time. To be successful in this role, people leadership, conflict resolution, problem solving and strong customer service are key.
The key responsibilities of Operations Manager include:
- Creating and implementing processes to keep production, sales and support staff accountable
- Ensuring WindowWorks continuously and consistently delivers best-in-class customer service
- Setting up Quality Control/Quality Assurance processes to ensure all products are highest in quality
- Creating, implementing and ensuring team sticks to on-time and on-spec delivery of products
- Forward-thinking/proactive approach to ensure that staff aren’t burnt out to meet deadlines
- Succession-planning/hiring/training of seamstresses of upholsterers as required
- Production Management
- Integrate software to the workflow process to ensure organization of products from start to finish
- Manage all internet orders
- Be accountable through the team to ensure products meet installation and delivery schedule
- Forward-thinking view of deliverables up to 8 weeks ahead of time to ensure that all supplies (fabric, hardware) and labour are available and co-ordinated to complete the deliverable on time
- Streamline and proactive coordination of workforce scheduling to ensure seamstresses and upholsterers don’t get burnt out, or run out of work.
- Creatively solving workroom challenges as required including using substitute materials or designs, without disrupting other projects in the queue
- Ensure team is accountable to:
- Invoice customers upon or day before install
- Collect all deposits the moment contracts are signed
- Collect payment either day before or upon install
- Ensure team is accountable to:
- Workroom Supervision:
- Continue to ensure a safe work environment together with our Health and Safety Officer
- Ensure seamstresses and upholsterers are working to their full potential
- Ensure training is provided for seamstresses in all areas for knowledge transfer
- Ensure quality control/quality assurance for products during the process to avoid mistakes and defects by guiding seamstresses on client’s needs
- Align workroom skills with appropriate projects
- Ability to learn quickly how to write a workorder and be proficient at it
- Ability to order hardware and fabric as required or to teach and assign team members to be accountable for it
- Review all workorders for accuracy and detail.
- Oversee quoting and invoicing projects, including
- Window coverings, bedding, and upholstery;
- Large projects and take-offs;
- Assisting sales team, customers and designers with projects;
- Calculating final prices for invoicing;
- Sourcing – select fabrics, hardware, accessories, and finishings through our suppliers to create window covering, bedding, upholstery design or other fabric-creations
- Collaboration – work with members of the workroom and inside sales members to ensure we deliver on their project with the highest quality, service and on-time delivery, attending and supervising complex installations when required
- Continuous learning – Participate in ongoing product and technology training
- Windowworks is a team environment, and all team members are expected to pitch in on all tasks when required.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A minimum ten (10) years’ experience leading high-quality professional manufacturing firm
- Proven track record of creating and implementing new process and structure in an unstructured environment
- Proven track record of creating accountability throughout the entire product chain
- Proven track record of providing profitable growth through operational efficiency
- Lean Six Sigma certification is an asset
- The ability to lead and influence through humility and accountability
- A passionate, can-do attitude to create any project that the client requests, by leveraging the workroom expertise
- Ability to multitask, be proactive, be detailed-oriented and be well-organized
- Resourcefulness in problem-solving in a customer-centric environment
- Have a demonstrated track record of success in an entrepreneurial retail environment
- Positive, friendly and respectful demeanor toward your colleagues and our customers
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) with a positive presence in person and on-the-phone
- Work under deadlines/pressure and stay focused and on task.
- Self-starter, quick learner, team player, desire to excel in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
The following experience are not necessary but would be an asset:
- Manufacturing draperies, including knowledge of heading styles, and both railroad/panel, or continuous/non-continuous manufacturing are an asset
- Experience calculating fabric yardage requirements, cutting fabric, and pattern matching for window covering, bedding and upholstered products
- Creating upholstered products
- Knowledge of design showrooms, workrooms and resources associated with high-end residential design
- Ability to read and interpret architectural drawings and interior specifications ensure accuracy and compliance with company standards and guidelines
- Sewing, including single-needle, blind-stitching, serging and hand-sewing are an asset
This is a full-time position, with benefits. The successful applicant is expected to work within our Richmond office between the hours of 7AM and 4PM.
WindowWorks is a high-end window coverings and custom upholstery manufacturer and retailer, focused primarily on the luxury residential sector. Known within industry for its reputation of best-in-class customer service and top-quality products, and the can-do attitude of “we can make anything”, WindowWorks is located in Richmond, BC, Canada. Founded in 1987, WindowWorks offers a complete one-stop selection of fabrics, wall paper, area rugs, blinds, shades and drapery hardware, as well as upholstery and custom furniture. Windowworks is the largest residential drapery workroom in Western Canada.
For more information, please visit our website at: https://www.windowworks.ca/ or Instagram: @windowworksbc
If you are interested in joining the largest workroom in Western Canada, please apply to the following email: email@example.com.